Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Fall Hunting

It's been kind of a slow start to the fall hunt. Haven't seen much for deer while bow hunting and can only hope the bucks start moving as the weather starts to cool. Still, a slow day in a tree stand still beats working.
I posted previously about my start to turkey hunting. Could have shot a jake early on but was hoping for something bigger and didn't want to end my season so soon.
After a weekend of snow and high winds, yesterday seemed promising. The sky cleared and it was still windy. Turkeys seem to favor fields during high winds so it seemed like a good day to try and find a gobbler. After working out, driving to town, making a few phone calls and walking Cody, I headed out in the woods. Got set up at 10:30 and this gobbler wandered by around 11:00. There's a bit of a story that goes along with this kill but too long to post. I'll save it for my hunting buddies when they come up this fall. (gee I bet they can hardly wait).
There's been a few grouse around so Cody and I will do some wandering over the next couple weeks. Gotta love October.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful bird. I have a buck raising all sorts of issues with my new trees. BTW, you a true Packer fan yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, though I seldom watch a complete football game. I'd rather be outside. Oh, and I still have my cap!

    ReplyDelete